Sunday, March 24, 2013

Ava Lea's Arrival

Our sweet Ava Lea was born on Friday, March 1, 2013 at 10:08 A.M.  She weighed 6 pounds, 11 ounces and was 18 inches long.  I don't want to forget the details of the days leading up to Ava's arrival and the details of her birth day so it will be recorded here...

Since Ava's birth was a planned c-section we knew we had to be at the hospital at 7 A.M.  I worked up until Wednesday of that week, then I was done.  I was exhausted and getting a sore throat so I was nervous I would be sick for surgery.  Luckily Thursday I stayed home, cuddled Sophia, rested and felt much better.  In the afternoon Steven got off work early and my Mom came down and we took Sophia to the Carousel (or the "Care Center" as she calls it) and we went out to dinner at Applebee's.

39 weeks pregnant
February 28, 2013- riding the Carousel

That night we finished up last minute packing and tried to get some sleep.  The morning of Ava's birth we woke up early in great anticipation of what the day would bring.  We stopped at Dutch Bros. on the way, since we did this when Sophia was born we felt like it is tradition, and Steven got a coffee.  I, unfortunately, could not partake since I could not eat or drink after midnight.  We then arrived at the hospital and got checked in.  We got taken back to our room where I changed into the hospital gown, was asked a million questions, and got my IV hooked up.  We then chatted with the nurse and waited for the operating room to open up.

My last picture pregnant with Ava- 39 weeks 3 days.  
 A dark morning driving to the hospital



Prepped with my many bracelets (including my personal favorite- Fall Risk) and my IV
 Steven waiting to be called back to the operating room- a self portrait
 In his surgery suit all ready to go!

We were taken back to the operating room around 9:20.  Steven could not come in with me until after they had completed my spinal block and had everything prepped for surgery.  This was one of the hardest parts for me.  The operating room was so cold and the spinal really hurt.  They had to try a few different times to get it in which was really really painful.  Then once they did get it in my blood pressure dropped really low and I felt so so sick.  They finally got my blood pressure under control and gave me a bunch of anti-nausea medicine so then I started to feel human again.  These were the exact words of the anesthesiologist: "Wow, you were a bit of a struggle there for a minute, good thing we had Dr. M here to give you the right concoction of drugs to bring you back" - very reassuring, right?!?! The tech then said "it is so nice to see color in your lips again".  So, like I said earlier that was the hardest part of the whole surgery and it felt awful.  But I survived...
After that they brought Steven in and began the surgery.  This surgery was so much calmer and relaxed then Sophia's birth- obviously the difference between a planned section and an emergency section.  Once Steven got there it was about 9:55 and at 10:08 sweet, tiny, wide eyed Miss. Ava Lea was born.





Steven and I were unsure if we would be overcome with the same intense emotions of love that we were when we had Sophia, just because it was not our first time, but, like everyone always says, our hearts filled with love and emotion as soon as we laid eyes on our sweet baby girl.  She was crying right after birth and as soon as they brought her over to me and Steven held her close to my face and I started talking to her she immediately stopped crying.  It was awesome.  She recognized our voices and was immediately soothed by us talking to her.  She was looking at us and her little tongue kept poking out like a lizard.
She then went back to be weighed and cleaned up and the doctors sewed me back together.




I was then moved to recovery where I cuddled Ava and was monitored until we were moved up into our room for the duration of our stay.

That afternoon big sister Sophia got to come visit and meet Ava first.  She was so sweet with her and was so interested in this tiny little person.  We were blessed with many visitors and people to love on our new baby and us.  Here are some pics of our visitors...



















 Ava's first bath


 Sophia's big sister present


 Another big sis gift from Grandma and Grandpa





 We did have an excellent view from our room



On Monday we were released and we headed home to begin our life as a family of four.
 Getting in her first real outfit- a cozy sleeper Sophia picked out when we found out we were having a girl!













 I am so lucky to have two beautiful, healthy, sweet little girls. No matter how sleep deprived or exhausted I get I am so happy to be these girls' mom.  It is the best and most important thing I will ever do.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I am so lucky to be your Mom and Noni to these 2 girls!