Saturday, February 27, 2010

Life and 11 Months

I feel like I have been neglecting the blog, but so it goes when life takes over. We have been keeping busy between work, school, enjoying every second with Sophia, and being sick. I seriously feel like I have been sick since November. Three sinus infections, two ear infections, and a cough that won't quit. I am tired of it, I guess that is what I get for working with kids all day. I am really looking forward to feeling like my self again, and not just like an exhausted zombie form of myself. Luckily Sophia has only gotten two colds since birth so that is a good thing, I definitely would rather be sick then have her be sick, that's for sure.
My class is really hard this year, yeah, I do realize that I say that every year but this year is above and beyond what I EVER thought I would have to deal with as a third grade teacher. I have been working with all sorts of specialists from the district and the ESD, and the police department for my most challenging student. I am tired of one student taking all of my time, and all of my other students suffering by not getting all from me that they deserve, but so it goes. I fully understand why some people leave the high need/high poverty schools within the first five to ten years of their career. I will chalk this year up to a year of learning how to "play the game" of politics within a large school district that serves both the very affluent and high poverty areas of the city. I get frustrated but also cannot imagine doing anything else right now, that is unless I was independently wealthy and could stay home with this beautiful angel!
Last week Sophia turned 11 MONTHS! Can you believe it? I can't, she is turning into this little person right before my eyes. She is so sweet. She now stands by herself (not holding onto anything), says mama, dada, and hi. She loves to wave hello and good bye. She has learned to turn on and off the light switch from her crib, thus providing herself all types of entertainment before going to bed. She is still a good sleeper, sleeping about 12 hours at night and taking two good naps during the day, although she really protests going down for a nap at all- lots of fake crying, then we'll go in and she'll stop, smile, and say hi. She loves giving kisses and cuddling and reading books. She is still allergic to apples. She loves going anywhere, and as we carry her up the stairs to get to the car from our apartment she claps and waves her arms in excitement- anywhere we go is an adventure for her. She loves trying to make us laugh, her main "act" is putting a toy in her mouth and then crawling around the living room making silly faces with the toy in her mouth. She thinks she is hilarious and looks back and forth between Steven and I to see if we are watching, we do a lot of fake loud laughing because it makes her so happy. She is an expert at peek-a-boo and giving high fives. I could go on and on...but moral of the story is we love her more every day and she brings us new joys with each moment of her life. We love you baby girl!

1 comment:

Grandma Kathy said...

Thanks Emily for taking time out of your busy schedule to update. I have to admit I do look forward to reading your blog, I absolutley LOVE getting updates about our favorite little baby girl. I can't believe how much she has changed, and grown since she first came into all our lives. She certainly changed my life for the better! Thank you Emily and Steven for that - Love you guys!

Grandma Kathy xx