Get ready for a random catch-up blog...
Well, it has been over a month since I have blogged which means we have survived the busiest month of the year (in my opinion). September is always such a busy month for me. I am establishing new routines all over the place. A new routine for the family with me going back to work, a new routine for Sophia going back to the sitter, and a new routine for my students learning how to be in third grade, etc.
My class this year is great, it is such a relief after last year. I have my students that are challenging or are dealing with some very difficult issues/disabilities but they are all sweet kids that want to please. I call September the month of being a broken record. All classroom routines have to be established and practiced over and over and over again and it can be exhausting. I feel like a broken record reminding students how we line up, how to sit on the carpet, where to turn in papers, etc. But, this year I feel good about being a teacher again, I feel that I am in the right profession at the right place which is a huge change from last year when I felt continuously overwhelmed and was constantly questioning if I was doing the right thing for a living. A lot could change but I am really trying to focus on each day and not get overwhelmed by what could happen or how things could change.
This past week has been a doozy for Miss Sophia. I feel so bad for her. Last Monday she had her 18 month appointment. She was not a fan of being at the doctor, it was actually pretty cute. Steven and I were talking with the doctor and Sophia kept walking over and standing by the door. She would sign please and bye bye. I guess she sensed the shots were coming. It was a very productive appointment in that they switched Sophia from the Prilosec liquid to a capsule which we can break open and put the powder in a bite of food. This makes giving the medicine to Sophia so much easier and she actually gets the full dose each day. Prior to trying this new method Sophia would spit out most of the medicine no matter how we tried to disguise it, thus she was not getting the full dose and was starting to throw up again. The doctor said that she is healthy and developing just as she should. She does want us to come back in about two months just to check her medication again and to check her weight. Sophia has not gained weight since she was about a year old so the doctor is hoping that since her medication is figured out and she is taking it without spitting out that we should see her gaining again. Luckily she is still in the 45 percentile for weight so we don't have any concerns about her not thriving. Here's where the unlucky part starts to come in...Sophia got two shots and she had an allergic reaction to one of them, we think it was the DTAP vaccine. She got the shots Monday and was fine then on Tuesday she went to the sitter as usual and mid morning I got a call that she had a fever and a very upset tummy and three blisters on her bottom and thighs. I left work and went and picked her up. Poor girl was not feeling well. Two of the blisters had started to subside but one remained for a few days, it was the size of a quarter on her inner thigh. The doctor figured it was just a reaction to the shot and that it was just too much for her little body. She got lots of cuddles and on Wednesday she got to spend the day cuddling with Grandma Marcy. By Thursday of last week she was feeling much better. Then last Sunday she started developing a runny nose. I figured it was just related to teething but by Sunday night she was not feeling well. Sunday night she was up every hour crying and coughing, she was not feeling good. I stayed home with her yesterday and today. She is still sick with an awful cough, congestion, and a fever. She also has a scratchy little voice- poor thing. Last night her fever was up to 102. Today it has been around 100. I talked to the doctor this morning and they figure she has a virus. They said to just keep doing what we have been doing and if it gets worse to give them a call back to bring her in. She just coughs and coughs, it is so sad. The doctor said that it could turn into viral bronchitis and if that happens she could have a cough for three weeks. Hopefully that does not happen! She is going to stay home with Steven tomorrow and I will go back to work and see how my students did with a sub for the last few days.
Well, I have pictures to share and a few more blogs to write to catch up on the month but that will have to wait for now. I hear a certain little lady starting to wake up, time to dish out some more cuddles, take her temperature, and encourage some Pedialyte drinking. :)
2 comments:
Emily, I love the new look?
Mom
actually that was supposed to be
Love the new look!
Post a Comment