Sunday, January 1, 2012

Book Reviews 2011


This year has been a better one for reading, at least compared to the last few years. I got a Kindle in February and I think that allowed for me to read more and order books at ease. I also think that since Sophia is a little older and sleeps a bit better (I am hoping I don't jinx myself with that statement) that it has allowed for me to be awake enough to get some reading in. Below are the list of books I read this year with a short review, although I know I have forgotten a few that I read that are actual paper books.

Books Read in 2011:

Lies I Told My Children by Karen McQuestion:  This was, if I remember, a collection of short stories.  It was funny and super cheap.

The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins:  I am not a fan of fantasy or science fiction type books but I LOVED this trilogy.  I stayed up so late reading these books and recommend them highly!  I am excited for the movies!

A Sister's Promise by Karen Lenfestey:  This was an interesting book about a women who decides to be a surrogate for her sister so that her sister will complete a medical treatment that will leave her infertile.  It is a really well written book with a good plot that keeps you interested.

Uncharted TerrTORI by Tori Spelling:  What can I say, I've read all the Tori Spelling books....

A Scattered Life by Karen McQuestion:  This book was a good read, I liked the characters and there were enough twist and turns to keep me interested.

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffen:  I had read this book years ago but read it again before watching the movie this year.  I like everything by this author- and she has a great first name!

Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me by Chelsea Handler and her crew:  I love her books, they are funny and ridiculous and sometimes that is all you need in a book.

Slim to None by Jenny Gardiner:  This book was really cheap, it was okay.  The main character was kind of annoying but it was one of those books that once I started I just needed to finish it.

Bossypants by Tina Fey:  I have been a fan of Tina Fey for years and this book made me love her even more.  It was so funny and I recommend it highly.

You'll Never Blue Ball in This Town Again by Heather McDonald:  Heather McDonald is a regular on Chelsea Lately and we saw her perform on Chelsea Handler's tour this year.  Her book was another funny read. 

Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner:   Jennifer Weiner is my favorite author.  I have read all her books usually more then once.  This was another great read by her.  It followed the story of a surrogacy from the perspective of all people involved.  The chapters switched between the characters which I also like in a book.  I learned a lot about surrogacy from this book too.

Heaven is For Real: A Little Boys Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo:  This book has gotten a lot of press. It was a good quick read.

Summer at Tiffany by Marjorie Hart:  I LOVED LOVED this book.  This is a memoir written by 82 year old Marjorie recounting the best summer of her life, the summer of 1945, when her and her best friend were the first ever girls to work at Tiffany's in New York City.  It was such a great book and I was sad when it was over.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett:  Another book that I LOVED, it has been a top seller and received critical acclaim for a reason.

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult:  I read about a third of this book but just couldn't finish it.  It was all about a school shooting which is a big fear of mine being where I work and some of the events that have happened in/near our school over the years, so I kind of just gave up on it after a while because it stressed me out to read.  I may go back and finish it someday.

Notes From the Underbelly  and Tales From the Crib by Risa Green:  These two books follow the same character from her pregnancy to motherhood.  They were fun books and I liked the character.

Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close:  This book followed a group of women and their adventures in their twenties.  It was cute and reminded me some of me and my friends when we were all single and living together.

Two Kisses for Maddy by Matt Logelin:  I have followed Matt's blog and this story goes into more detail of his life being a father and grieving the loss of his wife who died shortly and unexpectedly after their daughter was born.  It made me cry but was well written.

Recalculating by Jennifer Weiner:  This was a short "ghost" story released right around Halloween, it was a fun half hour read.

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park:  I really liked this book too, it was definitely an interesting story that kept you  guessing the whole time and had a satisfying ending.

Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella:  I have read other Shopaholic books.  They are a fun mindless read although the main character is pretty obnoxious.

When You Least Expect It by Whitney Gaskell:  This is a book that follows the story of an adoption.  Each chapter is from the perspective of a different person involved.  It was a quick read that kept me engaged.

Mommytracked by Whitney Gaskell:  I am only about halfway through this book, but like the book above it switches characters based on chapters and I am enjoying it so far.

I also read a million children's books and a few teacher books too but if I was to review each book I read between work and reading to Sophia I would be writing for weeks! This blog turned out longer then I expected.  I am looking forward to lots of great reads in 2012, especially with the Amazon gift cards I received for my birthday! 

Happy New Year!

No comments: