Saturday, December 15, 2012

Lately

The last few days have been full of cuddles and very little sleep. Poor Sophia came down with Fifth's Disease and a kidney infection. We ended up at urgent care Thursday night where both were diagnosed. Poor girl really was not feeling well. Thursday night no one got any sleep. Sophia was up every ten minutes having to go pee, yet every time she tried she would just scream and cry in pain. That has been the main and most challenging symptom of the kidney infection. The Fifth's Disease left her with a full body rash and a sore throat. Yesterday was spent cuddling, visiting with Noni, and lots of rest and running to the bathroom. I also had to go do a blood test because Fifth's Disease can be very dangerous to a growing fetus. Chances are I have already had Fifth's Disease, especially since I work with children, but they are testing to make sure I have the immunity. If I have not had it or if I have already passed it to this baby girl (which can happen without me knowing it) then statistically the baby should be fine, however I would have much closer monitoring throughout the rest of the pregnancy. So we are thinking positively and hoping for the best. The blood test they are doing is pretty rare we've been told and my blood must be sent all the way to Virginia so we won't get any results for seven days or so.

Today Sophia has started to turn a corner. She can pee again without crying and got a lot of sleep last night and is napping right now. She still complains of a tummy ache and is really exhausted, but is doing so much better then she was two days ago. Today she got to see Santa as well which was super exciting! In our town one Saturday in December every year Santa rides around on the fire truck down every street in town. They play the siren and the Christmas music and when you hear it you go outside and get a treat from Santa. Sophia is still quite frightened of Santa and was very nervous, but she was brave and accepted a candy cane from Santa and said "Thank you, Merry Christmas!". This was a big step for her and she was quite proud! The picture included is Sophia showing off her candy cane.

Here's hoping for good health for all as we get closer to Christmas! We have lots to look forward to in the next week or so!!

No comments: