Monday, June 1, 2009
Me versus GER
I have launched a battle with GER (gastroesophageal reflux) and unfortunately GER is winning, but I am not yet throwing in the towel (or the burp rag). As I have probably previously written about Sophia is a major spitter, in fact I would go as far to say that she is a little volcano ready to erupt at any time. A few weeks ago she was very fussy and uncomfortable every time she ate, and after she ate she would be even more fussy and uncomfortable and then would spit up most of what she ate. I am fully aware that babies spit up, but there is a difference between a little spit up and emptying the entire contents of your tummy. So when this all came to a head a few weeks ago I called the doctor and they said to try switching to a lactose free soy formula, holding Sophia at a 45 degree angle when eating and for thirty minutes after she eats to help the digestion, and trying to burp her after each two ounces she eats. Well, I have been doing all of these things and overall it is not as bad as it was, but it is still bad. This is gross, but if you don't like it then stop reading:), but now I can hear her making the gaggy puke noises when she spits up and sometimes it gets stuck in her throat. I feel bad for her because that cannot feel good. At Sophia's last appointment the doctor suggested using a tiny bit of rice cereal in her formula and that can help hold her food in her tummy since it weighs a bit more. I have not tried this but am ready for my next course of action. We will be taking a trip to Target today in search of rice cereal and bigger nipples. If this helps then I will win the battle, but if not then we have to keep a close tabs on Miss. Sophie's comfort with eating and her weight and go from there, the next step would be to put her on medication, but I am hoping to avoid that since she is so tiny. Luckily the GER and not being able to tolerate dairy are not things that should haunt her for the rest of her life, most babies outgrow these issues within the first year. So I will continue my battle for little Sophie's comfort and hopefully will kick pukies ass! Until then I will put a bib on Sophia, do lots of laundry, and smell like soy formula spit up every day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment