Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sophia's Surgery

On Monday Sophia got her tonsils and adenoids out. It has been quite a week, but each day we do see a small improvement in how she is feeling. We had to be up at Doernbecher's Children's Hospital at 9 A.M. Monday morning. We were a little concerned because on the Saturday before our sweet girl had a fever and really did not feel well or get any sleep Saturday or Sunday night. We were worried that she was getting sick and we would have to reschedule the surgery, but then we figured out the poor girl was also getting molars on both sides of her mouth on the bottom so that was the cause of her fever and sleepless nights. So anyways back to Monday. We left the house at about 7:30 and headed to Portland. When we arrived, we checked in and were sent up to the eighth floor, the surgery floor. Everyone was so kind and the building is so kid friendly. We got checked into the surgery area and went back to a room where all her pre-op things would take place. While we waited various people came in to go over surgery things with us (dr's, nurses, anesthesiologists, etc.). We got Sophia changed into her surgery jammies and then they gave her some liquid Valium which made her very loopy and hilarious.
Watching Mickey Mouse while waiting for surgery
So cute in her hospital jammies
This was after the Valium, you can tell that far away loopy look in her eyes.  Plus she went completely limp, we had to hold onto her tight or she'd turn into a pile of mush.


 At about noon we took Sophia back to the surgery room and had to say our good byes.  Steven and I were worried we would be a complete mess by this point, but it actually wasn't too bad.  The team was great and told us multiple times that they will be taking care of her just like it was their own daughter and I knew Sophia was in the best of hands.  We had about an hour to wait till she would be done.  We ran down to the first floor Starbucks and grabbed something to eat for lunch, then just tried to pass the time without worrying too much.  About 45 minutes later the doctor came out and said everything went great and that we can go back to see her as soon as she begins to wake up.  What a relief!

About ten minutes later we were taken back to see her.  I think that this was definitely the hardest part of this whole thing.  Sophia was so upset and although they said this was a completely normal reaction to children waking up from anesthesia, it was still gut wrenching.  She cried and cried and was not really awake but so mad.  We were back in recovery for about a half an hour then they moved us up to her room on the 9th floor.  I think it took her about two hours to really come out of the anesthesia and stop crying.  During this time Steven and I just took turns laying with her in bed trying to sooth and reassure her.   


Cuddling with Daddy

Not a very happy girl
After she finally perked up we tried to get some fluids in her.  She loved the Popsicle but a few minutes after she finished it, she got sick to her stomach.  Poor girl-  although this was to be expected with the surgery she had. 
The rest of the afternoon was spent with Sophia sleeping off and on, lots of check-in's by the nurse, and just trying to keep Sophia comfy.  That evening Sophia said she was hungry so she got to try some soft foods.  She was pretty impressed when she got to have ice cream for dinner. 
Like any night in the hospital, it was a long one with very little sleep for all.  We had a very sweet nurse who tried not to disturb us too much, but Sophia still needed med's frequently and needed  her vitals to be checked often as well.  Sophia was mad every time we had to disturb her.  She had to be held down to take her med's or blood pressure or anything and she kept kicking off her blood oxygen monitor which would set off the machines.  I don't blame her one bit, she was tired and did not understand that we were just trying to help her.  She also had a lot of drainage which would make her cough which hurt and so that would make her cry and it was just a vicious cycle.  I remember one point where she was upset so I calmed her down, laid back down to sleep, checked my phone and it was 3 A.M., then I fell asleep and then she began crying again, I got her calm, check my phone and it was 3:14 A.M., then I fall asleep same thing happens, I check my phone and it's 3:35 A.M. I think it seemed worse because none of us had gotten any sleep all weekend thanks to those pesky teeth.  But, we survived the night and the next morning we were discharged.  We got her prescription, got the car (which thankfully wasn't towed since apparently we had parked in the wrong garage!), and headed home.  As soon as we hit the freeway Sophia was sound asleep. 
Happy to be heading home
The view outside of the surgery wing, absolutely beautiful.
Waiting for her prescription.  Instead of wheelchairs to get around they use wagons which were very handy and kid friendly. 
All Sophia wanted when we left the hospital was a chocolate milkshake.  So, of course, we got her one.  Here is our happy girl. 

This week has consisted of lots of naps, cuddles, medicine, and spoiling.  Each day she is getting a little better, but she is still pretty weak.  It was also my first week back at work and I had to unpack my entire classroom after our schools remodel. Luckily Noni came down and spent a few nights and days helping with Sophia and allowing us to get some rest.  Sophia's post surgery voice so high and cute.  I wish I could just bottle it up.  I am so thankful that this is behind us and that she should have a much healthier year.  I am also so thankful it was just a simple surgery, where it is a big deal to us, there are families having to deal with much larger medical issues with their children and I am just so thankful this surgery should have a positive impact on Sophia's well being.  Here's hoping she continues to improve back to her old spunky self!

No comments: