So I am currently enjoying day three of snow days for the Salem-Keizer School District. I am actually shocked that we did not have school today, but I guess it all comes down to transportation and if the buses can get where they need to be safely. I know people have lots of opinions regarding the school districts and when/why they close but I think it ultimately always comes back to the buses and transportation system of the district and, being that we live in an area where snow and ice are so rare, our school bus systems and drivers just aren't prepared enough to safely get the kids to and from school. We have to make up the days at the end of the year, but I guess I will be on maternity leave so I don't technically have to make them up. I am interested to see what tomorrow will bring. I would like to see my kids and get a few things done prior to Winter break. As much as they can drive me crazy, I will miss them. A lot of them really struggle with this time of year and being gone on break for so long due to the fact that so many of them come from really difficult and poor home situations. This is a happy time of year for so many of us, yet it is not always a happy time for these kids. School brings consistent routine, free breakfast and lunch, dinner if they go to the Boys and Girls Club that is part of our school, and people that are there for them each day and care for them unconditionally. So moral of the story is I would like one day to check in with them before break. But I have no control over Mother Nature so only time will tell.
On another note, the last few days have been quite relaxing. Yesterday Steven had the day off and we decided to brave the weather and go to Portland to go to Ikea. I don't do driving in the ice, unless absolutely neccesary, yet since Steven grew up in Hood River he is a pro. At Ikea we bought a dresser for the baby's room. We ordered the crib and changing table online and they should be here early next week. It will be fun to get her room together. It is getting close. I was 27 weeks on Monday. Next week I will enter the third trimester. I can tell she is a lot bigger and she kicks a lot more.
Below I posted some pictures of a few things, I captioned them for you...enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment