Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Library, Germs, and Judgement

I am the first to admit that I am a judgmental person. I can't turn it off and am constantly observing people around me and judging them. I reserve my judging for strangers and I know it is not a good quality to have. But at least I have the common sense and decency to keep my judgmental thoughts to myself. I try to live by the creed "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". Well, I am going to go against that rule and share a few judgmental thoughts I had today while taking Sophia to the library today. Being that I did get my Master's in literacy and teaching reading and that I am just a conscientious mom I feel an intense obligation to expose my daughter to all things literacy- which now includes trips to the library. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE books, especially children's books and I love being surrounded by books, browsing through books, etc. Now knowing how much I love books the next point I am going to make is going to sound a bit ridiculous... I hate used books- that is used by people I don't know. I am kinda a germaphobe so used books just gross me out, who knows who's sneezed, coughed, or worse on some random library or used book. It frankly grosses me out. This act combined with frequent trips to the bookstore as well as the crazy amounts of bonus points I get through Scholastic Publishing for my job, I have not yet needed to take Sophia to the library- I've just brought it to her. This girl is definitely not hurting for books but her recent complete infatuation of trucks and planes in addition to my need to find enriching (free) activities for us to enjoy together on a rainy summer day led us to the library. They have story time for toddlers every Wednesday so besides picking up some books I figured we would go to that as well.
Since we are not actually Salem residents and Keizer's tiny volunteer library is mainly open during nap time we had to get a special library card that gives Sophia access to 25 children's and young adult books and nothing else- which will work for us.
The truck and airplane books were our first priority. We picked out a few then went to the Discovery Room. This is where the judgment began...
The Discovery Room is a room that is designated for young children- preschool aged and younger. There are baby toys, coloring, dress up, books, felt story boards, and other things geared for fun and discovery for the little ones. There were quite a few older kids in there but most of them were well supervised and playing with their younger brothers or sisters. That js with the exception of one child that was probably about seven that was playing alone and was not in there with anyone but her mom. She was playing with a ribbon attached to a stick. This undisciplined child repeatedly ran around the room waving the ribbon and occasionally hitting a child (including my child) saying "I am killing you with my fire, I am burning you all" while her (and this is where the judgement comes in) "stay at home and feed my child homemade granola while never disciplining her as it may stifle her creativity" mom was just standing there watching the whole thing doing nothing. Really? Is that appropriate? Not for my child- thus my judgement of the mom just watching her do this commenced. I understand child development and I also understand that sometimes kids can be really hard to control- I mean look at what I do for a living? But I know, in fact I can guarantee, that if MY child ever did something of that sort I would not be just standing there smiling about it. It was absolutely ridiculous.
Other then that incident we had a good time. Sophia loved the story time- especially the singing and she liked wandering around the library looking at books and asking "what's that?" about seventy-five times. It was a morning well spent.
Although I am a little sarcastic in writing today's blog I truly treasure every moment I spend with Sophia, every giggle, every question, every gibberish filled conversation, even every whiny throw myself down no she expresses. Sophia is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am thankful for every awesome and mundane moment I get to spend with her and her daddy.

Here are a few pics from the library- they are a little blurry because, let's be honest, Sophia rarely sits still! :)





In the Discovery Room prior to the "fire child" incident





Ohhhhh! Trucks!





She is really pumped about this truck book!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: